Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Thought on Moms

Today is Mother's Day, May 12, 2013. Today is a day we celebrate the love, the kindness, and the sacrifice our mothers give to us daily. My mother is one of the most influential people in my life. She has been there for me throughout my life, even when I felt that she wasn't. My mom was almost done with her A.A. degree when she had me. She never went back to school. She never got a college degree, but she is one of the most intelligent people I know. As I've grown up, I've seen her many different settings and atmospheres. She was a preschool teacher, a store owner and manager, a high school teacher, a couples' class teacher, but most importantly, she has been, and will always be mom. Not a single day goes by where I don't think about how blessed I am to be her daughter.

I'm not going to lie, though, some days, living with my mom is really hard. We are very like-minded in that when we set our minds to something, we do not change it. It will be this way or it won't be at all. In other words, we're very stubborn, and that causes a lot of conflict in our home. Some days are great, and we agree on everything and it's all just peachy keen. Other days feel like a hurricane of tension is sitting over the entire house, and is just waiting for the right moment to let the bottom drop out.

I'm not going to say that every argument starts with her, because most of the time it doesn't.
most of the time they start with me. I will argue with you that the sky is orange simply out of stubbornness, and my mom is the same way. There were several years as I was growing up that nobody would think either of us would make it to the next year. It is by God's great design that I was given the mother I have.

I was a hard child. Never sitting still, always talking, always moving. I had no patience or attention span, but my mom took it in stride. There were days she would get frustrated, but that doesn't mean she quit loving me. As I grew older, I developed a serious like of respect for authority, and my mouth got terrible. Snide remarks, rude comebacks. I was not a nice person to anyone, let alone my mother, but she never gave up on me. There were days when it seemed like we were going to drive each other crazy, but she never turned away from me. Even now, when I have matured exponentially, there are still days when I just want to yell in her face, but she always love me, and I will always love her.

Through my entire life she has been there for me. She was my chauffeur, my teacher, my role model ( both in how to be and how not to be), my confidant, my friend, my editor, and my money tree. When I'm sick, she gets up in the middle of the night, she stays home and misses out on events, she nurses me. She has juggled various jobs, homeschooling, and a busy social life, all for me and my siblings.

My mom may not be perfect, she may have some issues, but overall, she is the best mother I could have.

I love you to the moon and back, Momma.
Emily E.

No comments:

Post a Comment