Monday, June 24, 2013

From the Field - Beginnings of Worship

As I sat on the bus on the way back to my apartment last night after church, I realized, that even though I have no clear idea of how to start a worship band, I do know that you have to start with a heart of worship. It doesn't take a spiritual gift of administration and development to create something from seemingly nothing. Ultimately, that's God's job, but He wants to see us come before Him saying we need His help with this task.

And so, I am coming to Him for help. What do I say, how do I approach this subject? How do I ask for members, how do I spot out the spiritual leaders? Where do I go from here with this idea? To have an idea is one thing, but to put into action as a single person is another. Many times, it takes a team of people to make one person's idea a reality. I don't have that team to work with at Richmond. It's pretty much just me for a while.

Friday night, while we were sitting around at the welcome party, it was very hard for me to discern who in the room was a spiritual leader and who was not. I did feel as though one boy had the potential to be a leader, and was to some extent, but his heart attitude is not in the right place at all. I felt as though though others did follow him naturally, but he could be so much more.

As for music to introduce and integrate into this group, I am at a loss. I know what we sing in the youth group back home, but I don't know what songs they are used to here. I want to give them something fresh and new. I've been looking into worship leaders and their music, and while I have a good amount of well known songs, I want to let them experience the renewed passion you can have from learning a new song. A song who's words you listen to before you sing. What about you all? What are some worship songs or artists that speak to you? Feel free to comment as much as you like, I would love any and all ideas.

Working hard,
Emily E.

No comments:

Post a Comment