Monday, February 4, 2013

In the Valley

There are times in your life when a part of your life that has been so stable, so constant for so long, is suddenly ripped from under you. There's no warning, no signs of change; it just happens. Of course, things go on around you without you knowing, but when it comes to light it's so shocking.

When things like this happen in my life, I, like so many other people, begin to ask questions. I don't voice many of my questions aloud, but they're there nonetheless. When did this happen? Why does it have to be this way? Why now instead of later? What happens next? How do I handle this correctly? Recently, a very prominent question I have thought over is, How do I help others get through and transition between now and later? Do I take on the weight of other people's sorrow, do I stand and encourage them? Or do I sit and let everyone absorb this at their own pace?

Whatever happens though, as hard as times become, we have to remember to keep moving. The world is still spinning, the sun is still shining, the seasons are still changing, people are still living their lives. Most importantly though, God is still Sovereign, He is still in control, and He still has a plan.We don't see that plan as he does, but it's there, and He's still walking us through it.We don't have to understand why something happens, we just have to understand that God knows what He's doing, and trust that whatever happens brings glory to Him.

Nobody ever said life was going to be easy, and nobody ever said that there wouldn't be times of darkness. The Bible says there will be times of darkness, when you're in the valley between the mountains, where darkness and fear of the unknown tend to overtake you. But the Bible also says, that though you will end up in the valley, you're not alone if you are a Christian. Jesus walks with you. He keeps you safe and comforts you.

When I look around and all I see is empty darkness all around me, that is when I look up. Because even though I am surrounded by darkness on every side, the sky is never gone. And in the sky, in Heaven, is Jesus. Jesus, who protects me, and loves me, and keeps me sheltered. He is always there, no matter what I go through or where I am. And so I know, that even when everything around me seems hopeless, there is always something better on the horizon. My soul may be in the valley today, but my mind and eyes are on the Lord, who gets me through it all.

In the valley for a moment,
Emily E.

No comments:

Post a Comment